I Want More Information About Starting a Composting Business!
I have sooo many questions about starting a compost business! Your article is very helpful but I still feel like I don't know enough to get started! We have a large ranch in Montana and I am trying to think of ways I can contribute to our income as to offset all the burden on my husband. I think composting is a fantastic option for us!
In addition to having horse manure, I have a friend with a lawn care business and think I could negotiate with him to get lawn clippings, etc.
Below are some specific questions for the Tribe:
1) Can cow manure be used as well as horse manure?
2) Can grass clippings be used if the yard has been treated with chemicals? If so, at what point after the application can the clippings be used, especially if we are trying to produce organic compost?
3) If I can get produce from local grocery stores does it have to be organic in order for me to bill my compost as organic?
4) How does one use the worms for composting? Are they then shipped along with the compost?
5) Is having an enclosed structure with a cement floor best for running a composting business?
6) How do I know how much water, dirt, grass, manure, etc to use while making our compost?
7) What kind of bags should be used to ship?
I know this is a lot of questions but I really need to come up with something and I don't want to waste a lot of time! Again, we have land, equipment, and my husband also does construction so we can build something if necessary. We even have a semi-truck for shipping...I just need guidance!